No More Silence: Marking the Anniversary of the Newtown Tragedy
Moms Demand Action will mark the one-year anniversary of the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, with No More Silence, a campaign to honor the lives lost at Sandy Hook Elementary, and to show our resolve never to be silent again about the epidemic of gun violence.
Join us. Participate in our week of action, create a paper bell craft, and mark the day of the anniversary with dozens of “No More Silence” events all across the country. At each of these events, we will ring bells to remember victims of gun violence, and to demonstrate our commitment to be vocal and persistent in working toward common-sense gun reform.
Join us to commemorate this solemn anniversary with No More Silence:
Attend a No More Silence Event
On Saturday, December 14, Moms will gather in more than 35 states to honor the victims of the tragedy in Newtown, and the thousands of Americans lost to gun violence every year. All events will include a communal bell-ringing to remember the victims, and to show our resolve to never be silent again about gun violence. See the full list of events on the right side of this page.
Create Paper Bells
Make sure your members of Congress know that a bell has sounded that can’t be unrung. Create paper bells and send them to your legislators so they know moms will not be silent until they take action to make our kids safer from gun violence. Be sure to send a photo of your bell to firstname.lastname@example.org. Get a template and instructions here.
Take action every day in the week leading up to the anniversary commemorations: Demand that Congress enact common-sense reforms such as comprehensive background checks for gun purchases. The daily calls to action are:
- Monday: Craft paper bells with a message to elected officials and post photos to Facebook and Twitter (instructions for the craft are available here)
- Tuesday: Email Congress to demand reforms using our email tool.
- Wednesday: Between 1:00 – 3:00 pm Eastern use our Fast Tweet page to tweet members of Congress using the hashtags #NoMoreSilence #gunsense and #MomsDemand.
- Thursday: Join our Thunderclap.
- Friday: Call Congress with our easy call-in tool.
- Saturday: Attend a No More Silence Event (see the list of events on the right)
Sunday, December 15th marks the first anniversary of Moms Demand Action. In the year since, more than 127,000 moms have joined our grassroots movement to bring gun sense to our nation. Moms will never give up, and will never be silent. Join us today.